Soothing sleep sounds – the best baby sound machines for 2016
Playing soothing sleep sounds gives mums, dads and care givers the perfect way to settle toddlers and babies when you put them down for a snooze during the day or at night in the nursery. They are also ideal for settling and distracting babies and toddlers when you are out shopping or in the car.
Sleep sound machines also help you to have a good night’s sleep yourself (because the baby is asleep!), so you are always on top of your game and not over-tired during the day.
To make your life easier, so you don’t have to troll through hundreds of websites looking for the perfect sound machine for your baby or toddler, here is my pick of the Top 10 baby sound machines for 2016.
Top 10 baby sound machines for 2016
1. Summer Infant Slumber Buddy Elephant – This cute and cuddly elephant plays 5 soothing sounds and songs – Brahm’s Lullaby, Hush Little Baby, Frolic Rhodes, Babbling brook and Heart Beats. It also has 4 different light displays, volume control, a timer and operates on batteries. Read my review here.
2. Skip Hop Soother – An ornate baby sound machine that fits beautifully in the nursery. It plays 4 lullabies and 4 nature sounds (including white noise and heartbeat) and has a lovely starry sky and moon projector with a glowing night light. You also have an auto-off timer and volume control. Mains power only. Read my review here.
3. Dex the Dog – This lovely baby sound machine plays 4 soothing sleep sounds, plus a heart beat and white noise. It is voice and touch activated, so it automatically turns on when your baby cries and turns off when they have been quiet for 10 minutes (and it operates on batteries). Read my review here.
4. SoundBub – This is a portable Bluetooth speaker and baby soother, which plays 2 white noise tracks. You can also play your own melodies or songs using the Bluetooth functionality. It has a clip handle so you can easily attach it to the cot or stroller, runs on batteries and is an easy one hand operation. Read my review here.
5. My Little Pet – This gorgeous, cuddly sleep sound machine plays 6 gentle lullabies and a blue starry sky light show. It comes in blue or pink, has a removable battery box for easy washing, volume control and a velcro loop for hanging on the cot. Read my review here.
6. Graco Sweet Slumber – With this baby sound machine you have 11 soothing sleep sounds and a heart beat as well. You also have a soft glow light, which can be turned off, an MP3 point, volume control and a 60 minute timer. This baby sound machine operates on mains power and batteries, so you have the best of both worlds. Read my review here.
7. HoMedics MyBaby SoundSpa – With 6 natural sounds – white noise, ocean, heartbeat, summer night, brook and thunder, your little one will always drift off to sleep easily. With a timer, fully adjustable volume and both mains power and battery operation, this light weight sound machine is easily portable and makes a great addition to the nursery. Read my review here.
8. Baby Shusher – This revolutionary baby soother quickly settles babies and toddlers with nothing more than a simple ‘shushing’ noise. It is based on a parenting technique made popular by Dr. Harvey Karp and really works! It has a timer, volume control and operates on batteries. Read my review.
9. Munchkin – With the Munchkin in your nursery, you have your choice of 4 soothing sounds – heartbeat, ocean, white noise and rain as well as 3 lullabies and 3 Mozart songs. You also have rotating picture projections onto the wall or ceiling, voice activation (so your babies cries will turn it on) and a volume control. Read my review here.
10. Cloud B Sleep Sheep – This is one of the cutest, plush baby sound machines on the market. It has 2 timer options, plays 4 soothing sounds and comes with a velcro tab so you can attach it to the crib or stroller. The Sleep Sheep baby sound machine is battery operated so you can take it away on holiday or to the shops. Read my review here.